Monday, September 21, 2009

I May Become a Techie Yet! - DJD

I'm not what anyone would call a techie person, but I have seen the value of the CPSListserv, and it wasn't much of a stretch to imagine this type of thing working well for folks involved with pupil transportation. I figured a listserv would be a great resource to set up simultaneously with the release of our new publication, The School Bus Safety Handbook.

So, with some helpful tips from Merritt N., our moderator for the CPS version, I put my technophobia aside and dove in to set up the new CPS for School Buses listserv. This being me, of course there were a few technical hurdles, but I would say that it went pretty smoothly compared to other computer challenges I've faced. I wrote the first post, and sat back and waited for subscribers.

The next morning, I was delighted to see my computer churning away as it worked to fill over 70 e-mails into my inbox. AHA -- surely these were 70 members applying to the group, I figured. So I was pretty crestfallen when I found that, rather than new member notifications, every one of the mails was an out-of-office reply! A friend (I won't name names, but hers rhymes with "Fancy Showfont") had tried to set up auto-reply while on vacation, and somehow the system responded retroactively to every mail I had sent to her over the past several months -- totaling more than 70.

Needless to say, this was even more of a disappointment for poor Fancy than it was for me. Shortly afterward, the applications for membership to our new group did indeed start to roll in. We didn't get 70 members on day one, but only 5 days later we do now have over 70 on our list, and its growing steadily! If you are interested in school bus CPS issues, please join us!

Sign up at: CPSforSchoolBuses-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment